Assessment test: 10 questions
This open test counts towards 25% of your assessment for the course.
The questions are intended to assess your general understanding of the topics we have covered and the terms used. It is important that you answer each question in your own words and illustrate your answers with your own examples. Keep your answers succinct and write them in your blog (you can save as a draft rather than publish).
You have 1 week to prepare your answers. Please bring your completed answers to class on Wednesday 25th October. We will work through (mark) these answers as a group.
Here are the questions:
1. What is meant by the term ‘document structure’ and why is structure important? Illustrate your answer with a short example (a) of a structured document (b) of an unstructured document.
2. What is the Dublin Core and why are metadata standards important? Give an example of how it (the Dublin Core) could be applied to this set of assessment questions.
3. You are managing a large collection of limericks. The limericks are to be displayed automatically in alphabetical order on a screen at Federation Square.
Note. a limerick is a five line poem. Lines 1, 2, and 5 rhyme with one another. Lines 3 and 4 also rhyme with each other. For example:
There was a young man from Bengal
Who went to a fancy dress ball
He went just for fun
Dressed up as a bun
But a dog ate him up in the hall.
There once was a snivelling coward
who went by the name of John Howard
He tortured the poor
and for an encore
gave tax cuts to those he’d empowered.
Limericks are usually indexed by their first lines. However, some of the limericks are suitable for viewing by the general public and others are considered more suitable for a late night audience. You have been instructed to ensure that limericks considered offensive are only screened after midnight while other, more acceptable limericks, are screened before midnight.
Describe how you would go about identifying the first line of each limerick and how you would ensure the after midnight display of limericks that might be considered offensive?
4. Using the conventions of file naming best practice create a file name for the limerick about John Howard?
5. This question is about your understanding of the concept of granularity:
(a) Write a course grained description of your collection of limericks
(b) Write a description of the finest grained object in your collection of limericks?
6. What makes a digital repository effective - or not?
7. In the Age Newspaper (October 17th 2006), journalist, Graeme Philipson, described Digital Rights Management (DRM) as Digital Restrictions Management. He entitled his article ‘The coming digital showdown.’ Discuss your perception of the divergent views that underpin the various approaches to rights management?
8. What are the main approaches to ensuring long term access to digital content?
9. Open the following image:
and comment on its accessibility?
10. Describe what is meant by an heuristic evaluation and illustrate with an example?
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Assessment test: 10 questions,” an entry on DAM
- 18th October 2006